Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Last Weeks New Additions

Last week brought in several new Birds to my collection. First for some TTM successes:

Fred Holdsworth signed my 91 O's Crown and two CICs. The O's sent Bob Reynolds to the Detroit Tigers in 1975 for this young pitcher. Holdsworth didn't debut with the team until the next year and posted a 4-1 record with a 2.02 ERA. The 1977 season didn't treat him so well and he was traded to the Expos for a player to be named later. He now is Vice President of Finance for Comcast Midwest Division.

Next was Paul Carey who kept my Orioles card but sent back my minor league card, I still count O's affiliates as part of the official collection. Paul made his MLB debut in 1993 and played 18 games for the season. He stuck around playi ng professionally in the minors until 1995 when he retired. Like most pro players, Paul stuck around the game and ended up with a sho rt career as a minor league manager from 1998 to 2001 with the Savannah Sand Gnats and Tulsa Drillers.

Steve Trachsel signed my 2007 Topps and 2 CIC c/o home. Trachsel is currently a free agent but he briefly enjoyed two stints with the Orioles, first in 2007 and then again in 2008. His 07 season with the O's came to an end when he was traded to the Cubs for Rocky Cherry and Scott Moore. He has earned the name "the Human Rain Delay" because of his drawn out delivery.


Finally rounding out the week was current Rockies' coach, Don Baylor who signed my 73 & 75 Topps cards as well the 1991 Orioles Crow n Set card. I love getting vintage cards signed, the sets were so much better back in the day.


In addition, I had several eBay purchases come in including:
A trio of Melvin Mora certified autographs, #/10, #/35, #/50. I've always been a fan of MelMo and was disappointed to see the O's hav
e to release him but his numbers just weren't ther e anymore. At least he's still got a paycheck coming in from the Rockies to feed all those kids of his!

Finally I also added Curt Schilling to my collection for just .99 cents plus shipping! I couldn't help but jump on it as Curt will must likely be a Hall of Famer one day. He came over to the Orioles in 1988 in a trade with the Red Sox which sent Schilling and Brady Anderson to the O's for pitcher
Mike Boddicker
.


No comments:

Post a Comment